Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Beep beep boop *beep* bloop! blurp...

Well, looks like the wireless portion of my router has died. That's $50 bucks I didn't really want to spend. I guess I can get by as the regular wired part is still working. I'm not sure what caused it to stop working, but I did have a brief power outage yesterday morning, and that could have fried it. I guess it's time to upgrade. I'm going to try a few more things tonight to try to revive it, but from looking on the internet, it's not an entirely uncommon thing to happen with these, especially considering it's about 4 or 5 years old.

This is what I have.

This is what I'm considering getting.


Yes, they look nearly identical. But the new one would be faster for computers that support that speed. So, any of my neighbors leaching off my signal could download whatever they wanted faster.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo...I figured out my problems with my Linksys 54G WAP. I set the static IP of it to the same as my Vonage Phone Adapter. Doh!! Once I fix that things worked much more reliably.

Crazy...that router is cheaper than my WAP...it is $70, but it has a $10 Mail in rebate.

Pointedly Anonymous said...

I have the latter one, and it works for my laptop quite well. However, my mother's laptop does not like it much for some reason and keeps getting booted. I haven't figured out why though.

*shrug*

Anonymous said...

Mike,

I just found this article at toms hardware that says that WRT54G V5 is really bad for Bit torrent. Apparently it can't handle more than 16 simultaneous connections. I am not sure what version Chris has, but maybe it is an older revision that was before they dumped linux as the OS. I suspect that is why my WAP was more money since it is Linux based.

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2006/06/08/linksys_wrt54g_v5_really_is_a_lousy_router/

John

Pointedly Anonymous said...

I have firmware v.2 and it hasn't said i need an upgrade. The hardware doesn't have a version number on it.

Here's the odd thing, if I'm using BitTorrent, the first couple of days it works beautifully. I've gotten 100s of connections simultaneously going at DL rates of 700+kbps. That's how I get my Doctor Who so fast...(Side note: I absolutely LOVE this two parter).

HOWEVER, around the 3rd or 4th simultaneous day of Torrenting, I find that i have to restart the hardware by unplugging it and plugging it back in.

*shrug*