Sunday, March 12, 2006

I was in Kentucky?

I went to a wedding this weekend. It was one of my fraternity brothers, Adam. The wedding was in Cincinnati, so Austin and I drove down there early Saturday. Our hotel was on the Kentucky side of the river. At one point in my drunken thought process last night, I exclaimed, "I'm in Kentucky?!" in both amazement and confusion. Below, find a few pictures I took which will further detail the weekend's events.

Accident that tied up traffic for an hour
Here is the accident that had us backed up in traffic for an hour, less than 25 miles from our destination. A truck had slid off the road, through the barrier and into the ditch. We had to merge from 4 lanes to one, on the shoulder. Suck.

Waffle House in sight
This was the view from our balcony. I knew that heavy drinking was in store that night, so the Waffle House kitty-corner from the hotel was a welcome sight.

Just Married!
Adam and Andrea. The happy couple walking down the aisle after getting hitched.

Champagne toast
This is the centerpiece on the tables, and also, the pitifully small glass of champagne they gave us for the toast.

The Delta Chi Bar Commitee
The Bar Commitee had enough members that night to call quorum. From left to right, Joe (Adam's friend and best man, but not a Delta Chi member), Austin, Me, Dan Fanton, Drew, and the groom, Adam.
There was an open bar, which we took advantage of. Also, by random chance, and proximity to the bar, we chose our table, and thankfully ended up getting called to the buffet line early. It could have been disastrous had we eaten last and used that time to drink.

Austin with 2 drink minimum
The bar stopped serving liquor about an hour before the hall was kicking us out, so to be sure to keep his buzz going, Austin wisely prepared and got a back-up drink.

Ok, now for the rest of the evening that I don't have photos for. We left the hall about 11:00, and went back to the hotel to drop things off (like my camera) and then headed out for the bar. Everybody stayed dressed in their tuxes/dresses/suits, thus we were looked at rather strangely when we got to the bar. We went to the Hofbrauhaus Newport, a German beer hall. I had 2 of the liter mugs of beer and then a bit more. There was a polka/pop/rock cover band playing and everybody dances on top of the benches and there clinking of mugs and oh so much drunken antics. We drunk dialed a couple people. I think. It was really fun time.

After the bar we hung out in Drew's room for a while and pranked Joe, who fell asleep. Bad idea in a room full of drunk people. We started stacking ice cubes on his crotch. Hilarious.

In the morning I was awoken by the maid. After checkout Austin and I went to breakfast at the afore-mentioned Waffle House with Joe, Drew and Erin (Drew's girlfriend). After that we headed back to Detroit, with a drive that was thankfully uneventful.

As a side note, I had forgotten that southern Ohio is pretty southern. They's got a bit of an accent down there, darlin'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cheers old chap!! Nice post. Great pictures. Can you email me some hi-res copies?