Saturday, April 09, 2005

Release!

Well, last night, Dan, Austin and I went to see the record release party for Thunderbirds Are Now! It was down at the Magic Stick. The Recital opened, and Rescue and The Holy Fire also played.

I thought The Recital was really good, I haven't seen them in a while and I think they've gotten a lot stronger as a group, and I don't think it's intentional, but the singer, Chris O. looks a little like circa '94 Thom Yorke, and the guitarist looks a little like Jonny Greenwood (also of Radiohead). But they were tight, and the singing was much better than I remember. Of course I saw them first about 4 years ago at the Stick, but also when they played a house in Ann Arbor. I think both those times they were opening for Red Shirt Brigade, who are now defunct, but several of whose members are in Thunderbirds Are Now!

Rescue was also pretty good, I hadn't seen them before, but their last song was awesome. The Holy Fire was decent, but I got their promo CD so I'll take a listen to that and see if it grows on me.

And as always, TAN! kicked some ass. They were their typical manic selves, just a total freak-out, but in a good way. Rockin'!

Overall Grade: A-
The Holy Fire was the only weak point. And it would have been an A+ if the Paincakes had made an appearance.

BTW, I really like that they serve the Beast at the Stick now. And it's only 2 bucks a can. Awesome.

-The Geek.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Really didn't like Holy Fire. It's not too often that I decide that wandering around the complex is better than listening to a band. Although the slice of pizza hit several spots, including my chin. Way too much sauce.

And nothing can beat the Gold Dollar's dollar Stroh's cans. The Stick wanted $2.50 for it.