Thursday, July 21, 2005

I are smart.

Computer Geek Alert!

So, I got a copy of Tiger (Mac OS X 10.4 for those not into these things) and in preparation for installing it, I decided I should finally back up my hard drive. I have a 120Gb in the computer, and it's actually nearly full, although 50 Gigs is MP3s. I thought that making sure these were safely stored was a good idea, especially so, if I did have a problem, I wouldn't have to re-rip all of that.

With that in mind, I bought a new hard drive, another 120 Gb at my favorite store, which after rebates is only $40. I was going to put it in the external Firewire case I already have, to replace the 40 Gig that was there.

Well, I swapped in the 120 only to have it not work. I had gotten the 120 not only because it was cheap, but also because that Firewire chipset doesn't support drives larger than 128Gb. Well, it wasn't working. I couldn't get the drive to format or mount or anything. It was at this point I figured that I maybe had the wrong firmware version in it. I did some digging and found a utility to flash the firmware to a more current version. Eureka! (and not the vacuum) So anyway, at that point I finally was able to back up the drive. Tomorrow I shall install Tiger. Yay!

Oh, yeah, uh, Tiger has a bunch of improvements and stuff and it's better than the current version of OS X (10.3) I'm running now, so, it's good and stuff.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Excellent. Do you still need the old harddrive you replaced with the new 120GB?